The fellowship provides financial support of up to US $10,000 dollars to Ph.D. candidates in the humanities and social sciences. One to three fellowships will be granted. The fellowship duration can range from 4 to 12 months of residency at Darat al Funun in Amman, Jordan.
The Khalid Shoman Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting contemporary art in the Arab world. Since its inception in 1993, Darat al-Funun has been committed to developing an art movement in Jordan and the region as a whole through educational programs. The organization presents local and international Arab art, and devotes its efforts to presenting regular cultural programs, such as symposia, workshops, film screenings, and discussions.
Darat al Funun is a home for the arts and artists from the Arab world. It organizes exhibitions, talks, film screenings and educational programs, hosts performances and concerts, offers artist residencies, and publishes books and catalogs. It also houses an arts library with Arabic and English sources and an archive that includes video and photographic documentation of Darat al Funun’s activities and files on Arab artists. In addition, Darat al Funun hosts the Khalid Shoman Private Collection.
Fellows are expected to pursue their own research, give at least one public lecture, and participate in Darat al Funun’s cultural and artistic activities. Upon completion of the fellowship, fellows are required to submit a five to seven page research report that will be available on Darat al Funun’s website.
Fellowship funding is intended to compensate travel and stipend expenses. Darat al Funun will provide housing and office space. Fellows are responsible for their own health insurance.
Deadline for applications: 15 November.
Find all details online.
- NGO connects young Iraqis to international art scene (wamda.com)
- Film Screenings, Art Exhibitions, And More (7iber.com)
- Masmoo3 Introduces Audiobooks to the Arab World (businessweek.com)
- Down and Out in Amman: The Rise and Fall of the Jordanian Muslim Brotherhood (counterjihadreport.com)
- Fellowships at the Simons Institute (lucatrevisan.wordpress.com)
- Venice: Arab film features gay protagonist (bigstory.ap.org)
- Iraq wins big at Abu Dhabi Film Festival (hispanicbusiness.com)
- $160,000 of prizes and scholarships to be awarded to 110 students in the 4th annual Intel Science Competition-Arab World 2013 (arabcrunch.com)
- Democracy is no dream – if we will it (thejc.com)
- JNCASR-CICS Fellowship Programme for Scientists from Developing Countries in India (scholarshipworldwide.com)