NEW YORK CITY | File this story under “Industry Happenings.”
In early 2016, keep visiting the website of Dramatists Guild. That’s when the guild will begin asking for submissions to its Dramatists Guild Playwriting Fellows. The application process for 2016-2017 will begin February 1, 2023.
This year’s deadline took place in May. The playwrights and musical theater writers who submitted for consideration had to write a cover letter that answered the following points:
“Describe an experience in which somebody’s input on your work as a writer affected or inspired you.”
Plus beef up your resume. Prepare to submit 20 pages of a script you have written. The guild will accept PDF documents via email only.
Who got lucky in 2015?
The program’s chairs — U.S. writers Michael Korie, Laurence O’Keefe and Diana Son — chose 5 playwrights and 8 musical theater writers were selected from over 150 applications. This year’s lucky so-and-so’s are:
- France-Luce Benson of Miami, FL
- EllaRose Chary of Gary, IN
- Tim Duncheon of San Mateo, CA
- Greg Edwards of San Carlos, CA
- Ben Green of Boston, MA
- Rachel Griffin of Springvale, Maine
- Brandon James Gwinn of Nashville, TN
- Sylvia Khoury of Westchester, NY
- Daniel Lazour of Boylston, MA
- Patrick Lazour of Boylston, MA
- Jerome Parker of Bronx, NY
- Jonathan Payne of Los Angeles, CA
- Stacey Rose of Elizabeth, NJ
The Fellows Program, a nine-month intensive in New York, brings together playwrights and musical theater writers to develop full-length pieces by working with experienced theater professionals and artist mentors.
Founded in 2000 by Lynn Ahrens and Janet Neipris, who led the program for many years along with Stephen Flaherty and Susan Miller, the Fellows Program has been instrumental to over 100 dramatists early in their careers, according to a prepared statement.
Let’s close the file temporarily until we learn more about their productions maybe a year from now.