NEW YORK CITY | NoPassport and NYU Gallatin have teamed up to present the seventh annual NoPassport theater conference, “Dreaming the Americas: Staging New Theaters/Challenging Hierarchies.”
This one-day conference explores “the intersections between theater and late capitalism; modes of new work production and methodologies; theater-making and theory; and the role creative activism can play in staging new theater in the 21st century,” according to a prepared announcement.
The annual “Dreaming the Americas” conferences are initiated and curated by Caridad Svich (playwright, founder, NoPassport). This year’s conference is co-curated by Kristin Horton (director and faculty member, NYU Gallatin) and Sharon Friedman (faculty member, NYU Gallatin).
“Staging New Theaters/Challenging Hierarchies” features a keynote address from Todd London, the Artistic Director of New Dramatists, and opening remarks from John Eisner, the Producing Artistic Director the Lark Play Development Center.
Also featured in the conference line-up are:
• Ken Prestininzi, Artistic Director of Brown/Trinity Playwrights Rep;
• Lisa Phillips and Dana Whitco, Co-Directors of Positive Feedback, an
initiative of The Earth Institute;
• a dance performance by Signdance Collective International from the UK;
• and a panel moderated by scholar-playwright Saviana Stanescu.
Conference will take place March 1, 2023 from 10 a.m. to 8:45 p.m., at Jerry H. Labowitz Theatre for the Performing Arts (1 Washington Place, New York, NY 10003). Free and open to the public.
RSVP at _www.nopassport2013conference.eventbrite.com_
NoPassport and NYU Gallatin present the seventh annual NoPassport theater
Dreaming the Americas
Staging New Theaters/Challenging Hierarchies
Preliminary Conference Schedule
A complete conference schedule, including all panelists, will be available
in mid-January at _www.nopassport.org_ (http://www.nopassport.org) .
Opening Remarks: John Eisner (Producing Artistic Director, Lark Play
Art, Agency, Gift and Capitalism: a curated panel on new writing and
production moderated by Ken Prestininzi (Artistic Director, Brown/Trinity
Playwrights Rep and playwright), with Migdalia Cruz (playwright) and Patricia
Ybarra (Brown University)
Keynote Address: Todd London (Artistic Director, New Dramatists)
Better Than Barter: Artists and Scientists Redefine Collaboration,
Mentorship and Community: a panel co-curated by Lisa Phillips and Dana Whitco
PositiveFeedback is an initiative of the Earth Institute at Columbia
University; Center for Creative Research at NYU; and CUNY Institute for
Sustainable Cities—designed to support the research collaborations of artists and
scientists focused on climate change.
New Writing and Challenging Hierarchies: a panel curated by Otis
Ramsey-Zoe (Howard University; series editor, NoPassport) with Tony Adams (Halcyon
Theatre, Chicago), Ed Cardona Jr., EM Lewis, Oliver Mayer (USC), Matt Paul
Olmos and more.
Dream Act, Capital Acts: a panel curated by Saviana Stanescu (Ithaca
College; Immigrants, Artists and Scholars in New York)
The Other Side of the Coin: performance by Signdance Collective
The Other Side of the Coin explores Federico Lorca’s final poems, “Ferias
and acts of creative and political resistance against fascist structures
and oppression.” Signdance Collective International is led by Isolte Avila
and David Bower, principal figures in disability arts practice, who developed
the art form signdance theater in 1987.
Signdance Collective International (SDC) was established in 2001 as a
platform to further the art form through international collaborative projects.
SDC is the company in residence at Bucks New University’s Theatre
Department, where it empowers aspiring performers through workshops that focus on
diversity as well as the technical and expressive capability of the
performers. Learn more at _www.signdancecollective.co.uk_
NoPassport is an unincorporated alliance and a sponsored project of
Fractured Atlas. NoPassport is devoted to the advocacy, publication and
production of cross-cultural work that celebrates aesthetic difference and
diversity. Donations for NoPassport’s work may go directly to
_www.fracturedatlas.org/donate/2623/_ (http://www.fracturedatlas.org/donate/2623/) .
- Medical Schools Make Reforms While Law Schools Make Excuses (abovethelaw.com)
- Geva partners with NYU to launch new writers group (gevajournal.wordpress.com)
- Gallatin-based Theater Company Is Mad And Merry, Or What You Will (nyulocal.com)
- NYU Hook Ups: A Facebook Page To Help You Lose Your Virginity Before Winter Break (nyulocal.com)
- MTC & Ars Nova Announce Inaugural Group of Artists for THE WRITER’S ROOM (boneaubryanbrown.com)
- EDL leader jailed for being illegal immigrant after entering US on friend’s passport (telegraph.co.uk)
- Maura Tierney and Courtney B. Vance join Tom Hanks in Nora Ephron’s LUCKY GUY (boneaubryanbrown.com)
- Earn a Masters in Irish and Irish-American Studies in the heart of New York City (irishcentral.com)
- [VIDEO] NYU’s Greatest Rappers Join A Cypher On Campus (nyulocal.com)
- Fiscal debates, then and now (triblive.com)