The foundation awards unrestricted grants for general operating support, rather than for specific project funding. Grants are awarded exclusively to U.S. nonprofit 501(c)(3) organizations. The foundation does not make grants to individuals.
Not-for-profit, professional resident theater companies are the primary recipients of Schubert Foundation funding, with an emphasis on producing, rather than presenting, organizations. A smaller amount of funding is provided for dance companies.
The foundation also makes a limited number of grants to arts-related, not-for-profit organizations that help support the development of theater and dance, and to graduate drama departments of private universities.
Grants will be made only to organizations that have an established artistic and administrative track record as well as a pattern of fiscal responsibility. The foundation does not provide funds for project support, audience development, direct subsidies of reduced-price admissions, media (film, TV, and radio), renovation projects, or capital or endowment campaigns. No grants are made to conduit organizations (agencies that disburse funds to individuals or other organizations).
Applicants may not request a specific grant amount; if the foundation determines that it will fund an organization, it will also determine the amount of the grant.
The foundation has two grant application timetables. Applications in the dance, arts related, and education categories must be submitted by October 15, 2012. Theater applications must be submitted by December 3, 2012.
Deadline: October 15, 2012 (Dance, Arts-Related, Education); December 3, 2012 (Theater)
- Watertown Foundation to award grants (rep-am.com)
- Deadlines | MAP Fund offers funding for contemporary arts performance projects, Oct. 17 deadline (theaterofoneworld.org)
- Deadlines | Grant proposals for music archiving and preservation sought, Oct. 11 (theaterofoneworld.org)
- City Council supports group’s efforts to restore Troy Proctor’s Theater (troyrecord.com)
- How To Get Government Grants (answers.com)
- Kauffman Foundation Announces $1 Million Grant to Kansas City Public Library to Support Black Archives of Mid-America (kauffman.org)
- Kauffman Foundation Announces Two Legacy Fund Grants Totaling $3.75 Million for Local Institutions (kauffman.org)
- Georgia College Faculty Research Grants Announced (icbg.wordpress.com)
- Roanoke arts and cultural plan gets partnership grants (wsls.com)