NEW YORK CITY | The place to be on Thursday September 19 was the Urban World Film Festival at the red-carpet opening night of David E. Talbert‘s film Baggage Claim.
During the q&a that following the screening, the actor Jennifer Lewis was asked what advice she would give to aspiring actors working to get into the business. Lewis gave a great kick-the-butt speech, straight from the heart, that is actually amazing advice for anyone pursuing any profession.
Listen to the video below, courtesy of True Exclusives, and tell me Lewis’s speech did not fire you up to make your move. I suggest you listen to it over and over, especially when you are in a funk.
Some excerpts, courtesy of Jennifer Lewis:
“Listen to me: You have to love what you do with your entire molecular structure. Find your passion. You’ve got to be in it to win.”
“I knew my passion right away. That’s what you got to find. The elevator to success is broken. Take the stairs. And take it, baby. Run with it. You can have anything you want. Anything. Anything you want you can have.”
“Here’s the real shit y’all: You do your best and you leave the rest. Don’t let life drag you crazy. You drive that motherfucker; it’s yours. You understand? You’re in charge. You better look in the mirror. Look in the mirror and love what you see. Or stand there until you love it. I don’t care what profession you’re in. Your job is to do the work: Who am I?”
Sing it, Jennifer!
- Paula Patton, Jill Scott, Jennifer Lewis, Jennifer Williams & More Attend NYC’s ‘Baggage Claim’ Premiere (yodonbleekraps.com)
- Paula Patton, Derek Luke and More at Urbanworld Film Fest (bet.com)
- EGL On The Scene: UrbanWorld Film Festival (everythinggirlslove.com)
- HW Pick: Does The African-American Community Have Its Own ‘Baggage’ (poll)? (harlemworldmag.com)
- Urbanworld Film Festival Opening Night (bigralphsadventures.wordpress.com)
- Jenifer Lewis On Achieving Success: “Don’t Let Life Drive You Crazy, You Drive That Mother F***er” (madamenoire.com)