GPS NORTH AMERICA | HOLLYWOOD, FLORIDA | On July 16, 2023 shortly after sunrise, Florida Power & Light Company demolished its 1960s-era Port Everglades Power Plant in Hollywood, Florida.
For more than 50 years, the power plant’s four 350-foot, candy-cane-striped stacks and four 7,500-ton boilers marked South Florida’s skyline. The power plant demolition, pictured here, is the largest in Florida’s history and the company’s third in three years.
These demolitions are the first step in replacing older, less efficient power plants. The plan is to build new, more efficient facilities that will help contribute to energy independence.
Here is one more view, just for fun:
- Florida Power & Light to demolish Cutler Power Plant in Palmetto Bay (bizjournals.com)
- International News | Port Everglades Power Plant demolished in Florida (thejournalist.ie)
- FPL demolishes Port Everglades plant - slideshow (bizjournals.com)
- FPL Brings Down Cutler Plant Smokestacks (miami.cbslocal.com)
- FPL demolishes Port Everglades power plant (local10.com)
- FPL demolishes Port Everglades power plant (TBO.com)